Work Permit Extensions
A work permit allows every foreigner to work in Canada temporarily. There are different work permit types and each of them has a different validity time, which ultimately expires. When your work permit expires, you have to leave Canada as you would no longer have suitable permission to live and work in Canada.
Foreign workers in Canada might be eligible to file for a work permit extension when:
- Your job is as well extended
- You are offered a new job
- You are offered to work for a new company or business
- Your spouse’s status has changed or extended if you were on a spousal open work permit (SOWP)
Change WP Conditions
The work location
The employer for which you can work for
The type of work you are restricted to perform
If your recent job’s pay or duties change
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Work Permit Extension?
How Can I Extend My Stay As A Worker In Canada?
Can I Change The Conditions In My Work Permit?
I Have Applied For A New Work Permit, Can I Stay In Canada If My Work Permit Expires?
Can I Extend my Work Permit From Inside Canada?
Can I Continue Working If My Work Permit Expires?
Does CIC Provide Confirmation On Implied Status In Canada?
How To Check The Expiry Date For Work Permit?
Things To Consider
There are several things to consider when extending your stay as a worker:
- If your work permit expires after you submit your application for extension but before you get a decision on your application, you can stay in Canada under what is called implied status.
- If you apply for another work permit you can stay in Canada and meet the condition of your original work permit.
- If you apply for a different kind of permit you can’t do any of the activities allowed by the original work permit.
You Can Apply For Extension If
- Your employer gets a new labour market opinion
- You both signed a new employer and employee agreement
- Before your current work permit expires you apply for a new work permit
- You must submit your application before your recent work permit expires which will allow you to stay in Canada unless a choice is made.
Who Can Apply For An OWP?
- If you have an employer-specific work permit
- If you applied for permanent residence in Canada
- If you are a dependent family member of somebody who applied for permanent residency in Canada
- If you are the spouse of a qualified worker or international student
Book your appointment with us now!
#201 7985 132st surrey, BC, V3W 4N2
Monday - Friday
9am - 7pm
10am - 5pm